Nickolaos Nikiforos Giakoumakis
Nickolaos Nikiforos Giakoumakis, PhD
Laboratory of General Biology
School of Medicine
University of Patras
Rio, Patras, 26505, Greece
- 2012 - May 2017: PhD student, Laboratory of General Biology, Medical School, University of Patras
- 2009 - 2012: MSc, Interdepartmental Master's Program Informatics for Life Sciences specializing in Bioinformatics.
- 2003 - 2009: Diploma, Biology Department, University of Crete, with expertise in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
- Image analysis, functional imaging, live cell Imaging, FRAP, FRET, Quantitative Biology.
- Cell tracking and Image Quantification
- DNA damage response pathways in different cancer cell lines
- Licensing factors in DDR pathways
Honours & Awards:
- Best oral presentation award at the 67th Panhellenic Conference of the HSBMB at Ioannina 25-27 November 2016.
- Eurobioimaging proof-of-Concept-studies fellowship for conducting experiments at the Advanced Digital Microscopy Facility of the Institute of Research in Biomedicine of Barcelona April 2012- May 2012.
- Erasmus Placements Scholarship for Master Studies for conducting experiments at theAdvanced Digital Microscopy Facility of the Institute of Research in Biomedicine of Barcelona June 2012- August 2012.
- EMBL Corporate Partnership Registration Free Fellowship for the participation of EMBL Advanced Course: Advanced Imaging Techniques. Heidelberg - 2012.
- EMBL Visiting Predoctoral Fellow at the Advanced Light Microscopy Facility, under the supervision of dr. Pepperkok, November 2014-February 2015, Heidelberg.
- M.A. Rapsomaniki, N.N. Giakoumakis, P. Kotsantis, I.E. Symeonidou & Z. Lygerou.”A user-friendly FRAP analysis tool to assist FRAP data normalization.” 17-19 October 2010 Hellenic Meeting of the Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Association, Alexandroupolis, Greece.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, Practical Course Instructor at “Views into Nuclear Function, A SEEDRUG workshop” 11-13 September, Patras, Greece.
N.N. Giakoumakis and M.A. Rapsomaniki “Fluorescence Recovery After Photobleaching (FRAP) in the study of protein kinetics: data analysis, modelling and parameter inference.” “13-15 October 2014. Spanish Advanced Optical Microscopy Network (REMOA 2014), Madrid, Spain.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, S. Maxouri, S. Taraviras, Z. Lugerou “A Semi-Automatic Quantification method for observing the heterogeneity in re-replication patterns in fission yeast”. 17 December 2015. Center for Molecular and Cellular Imaging of EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, T. Giavridis, P. Kotsantis, S. Taraviras & Z. Lygerou.. “Cell type specific regulation of Cdt1 and p21 proteolysis in cancer cells lines upon ultraviolet microirradiation”. DNA damage in Disease, Barcelona 28-30 May 2012, Spain.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, J. Colombelli, P. Kotsantis, S. Taraviras, Z. Lygerou. “Quantifying the post DNA-damage protein kinetics and interactions of the factor Cdt1 and its recruitment at the site of DNA damage”/ EMBL Master Course- Bioimage Data Analysis 13-17 May 2013, Heidelberg, Germany.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, A. Panagopoulos, S. Taraviras, Z. Lygerou “Cdt1 complex formation at sites of DNA damage: assessing effects of post-translational modification by functional live-cell imaging”, Views into Nuclear Function, A SEEDRUG workshop” 11-13 September 2014, Patras, Greece.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, J. Colombelli, S. Taraviras , Z. Lygerou. “Differential recruitment dynamics of polymerases following DNA irradiation in the absence of Cdt1” EMBO conference The DNA damage response in cell physiology and disease. Sounio, 5-9 October, Greece.
- N.N. Giakoumakis, A. Panagopoulos, H. Nishitani, S.Taraviras Z. Lygerou. “Recruitment kinetic properties of Cdt2 post localised DNA” EMBO conference The DNA damage response in cell physiology and disease. Sounio, 5-9 October, Greece.
- P. Galanos, G. Pappas, A. Polyzos, A. Kotsinas, I. Svolaki, N.N. Giakoumakis, C. Glytsou, I. S. Pateras, U. Swain; V. Souliotis, A. G. Georgakilas, N. Geacintov, L. Scorrano, C. Lukas, J. Lukas; Z. Livneh, Z. Lygerou, D. Chowdhury, C. S. Sørensen, J. Bartek, V. Gorgoulis (2018) Mutational signatures reveal the role of RAD52 in p53-independent p21 driven genomic instability. Genome Biology,in press.
- Giakoumakis ,N.N. Rapsomaniki, M. A. and Z. Lygerou (2017) Analysis of Protein Kinetics Using Fluorescence Recovery After Photobleaching (FRAP). Methods Mol. Biol, 1563: 243-267.1.
- Kourti, Ikonomou, Giakoumakis, Rapsomaniki, Landegren, Siniossoglou, Lygerou, Simos,Mylonbis (2015) CK1-δ restrains lipin-1 induction, lipid droplet formation and cell proliferation under hypoxia by reducing HIF-1α/ARNT complex formation, Cellular Signalling 1873-3913. doi 10.1016.
- Rapsomaniki MA, Cinquemani E, Giakoumakis NN, Kotsantis P, Lygeros J, Lygerou Z. (2015) Inference of protein kinetics by stochastic modeling and simulation of Fluorescence Recovery After Photobleaching experiments. Bioinformatics,1;31(3):355-62.
- Rapsomaniki MA, Kotsantis P, Symeonidou IE, Giakoumakis NN, Taraviras S and Lygerou Z (2012). easyFRAP: an interactive, easy-to-use tool for qualitative and quantitative analysis of Fluorescence Recovery After Photobleaching data. Bioinformatics. 28(13):1800-1.